Samreedhi Goel is a renowned Nutritionist, Personal trainer & fitness columnist.She has helped hundreds of people shape up & lose weight .Her fitness columns and interviews appear on a regular basis in prestigious publications like Complete Wellbeing, Sunday Midday, Rediff.com, Seventeen India. In this article Samreedhi tells us how to trick ourselves into dieting

Dieting is about options & not restrictions. It is not about eating the minimum quantity of food that you can handle, but about making the right choices. Sometimes a minor modification in your diet can help make a massive change in the way you look.

1. Change one bad habit at a time & replace it with a good one: Rome was not built in a day. If you are used to eating large meals or eating high calorie foods at every meal, it is difficult for your body to switch requirements overnight. eg. If you are used to having a burger or fried chicken every evening at 7 pm change it to a vegetable sandwich & eventually to fruits & you wont find the transition so difficult.

2. Make eating a pure activity. Some of us don’t realize how much we eat because we end up eating mindlessly. So take 10 minutes out from your schedule switch of that TV or put aside that phone & focus on what really goes into your mouth.

3. Eat slowly & chew thoroughly. If you have heard this several times before, its because it is a tried & tested method. Chewing your food slowly helps mix it well with saliva & break it down to smaller pieces that can be digested better. Studies show that it takes 20 minutes after the food is in your stomach for it to register in your brain & only then do you get the feeling of fullness. So eating slowly will make sure you eat lesser & stop when you are full.

4. Don’t call attention to yourself when you are eating out with friends. You might have noticed the minute you announce at a meal that you are on a diet all the focus shifts to how little you are eating & how you can eat that chocolate pastry “just for today”. So don’t call attention to yourself by eating too quickly, linger on your smaller portions so that you do not finish the meal too quickly!

5. Use a small plate/bowl: Using a smaller plate especially at a buffet will ensure that you serve yourself smaller helpings. While if you use a big plate & take smaller helpings chances are that you will go back for seconds!

6. Rid your house of inappropriate stuff. If you do not hoard stuff like chips, cookies, chocolates then how will you end up eating them? Hoard stuff like high fibre biscuits, popcorn, flavoured yogurt instead so when you “snack” you snack healthy!

7. Shop for food when you are not hungry. If your energy meter is already on low you are going to reach out for chips & chocolates. The reason? Your body is craving instant energy. So make sure you eat something before heading to the supermarket so that it is your brain that makes the decision of what to buy & not your hunger pangs!

8. Take only enough money while shopping: There are new & tempting products everyday in the market. Who doesn’t want to try out the “New Chips” with 35% lesser fat? But if you are carrying just enough money for the necessary requirements chances are you will come home without chips & the remainder 65% fat!

9. Involve yourself in hobbies that do not involve food: Sometimes we eat just because we have nothing else to do! So find a hobby that does not involve food, get involved in it & you’ll be surprised how easy it is to control your appetite!

10. Find out your hogging triggers: Do you eat when you are angry? Or when you are stressed? Is food your way of fighting boredom? Or is it your cure for loneliness? Whatever it is find the reason for reaching out to food & deal with the problem & find a creative solution to it or else you’ll end up angry/stressed/bored/lonely & fat!

11. Never be stranded without food: Always carry a fruit in your bag. It will prevent you from reaching a point when you are “faint with hunger” & could eat even the tablecloth. Believe me when you are that hungry the last thing on your mind is “choosing the right food”. So carry an emergency ration or two in your bag so you can use your good sense to choose your food wisely.

12. Maintain a food diary: Yes it’s a boring job & no nobody enjoys doing it. But if you want a true insight into your food habits & into why you are gaining weight this is the best way to do it. Write down everything you eat from day to day & look back every now & then, this will help you to find a way to change your ways!

Dieting is a lot about focus. So many times people launch on a so-called diet program but their focus remains on all that they cannot eat. The result? They end up eating all the wrong foods because that’s what they are constantly thinking about! Focus on all the options you have & think about how good food is going to be healthy & nothing can stop you from achieving your fitness goal!

 

Samreedhi Goel

Samreedhi Goel is a Nutritionist & Personal Trainer. She runs her fitness studio Size Wise and specializes in Zig Zag diets.She also does online consultations.
samreedhi@gmail.com

 

 

 

 

 


Disclaimer
The views and opinions expressed in the document are based on the research and analysis of the respective authors and writers. Accordingly, no representation or warranty, express or implied, is made as to accuracy, completeness or fairness of the information and opinion contained in this document. The information given in this document is as of the date of this document and there can be no assurance that future results or events will be consistent with this information. IFIN and its affiliates shall not be liable for any damages whether direct, indirect, special or consequential, including lost revenue or lost profits, which may arise from or in connection with the use of this document. This document is strictly confidential and is being furnished to you solely for your information.

© Copyright 2015-16. All rights reserved.